This recipe is so easy I almost did not post the recipe. I make so often thought that i thought why not just put up a recipe. This combination of ingredients, particularly the olive oil is a bit unique. If you have not had olive oil or truffle oil with with eggs you are missing out. I first had olive oil on eggs in Italy at the breakfast buffet. They may have just been making it for the American tourists but either way it was good. Just to be clear, this is olive poured directly over the eggs, not just used for cooking. Hope you enjoy these Easy Spinach, Cheese and Olive Oil Scrambled Eggs. Also a note, you can truffle oil instead of olive oil and it will still be delicious.
Ingredients for Easy Spinach, Cheese and Olive Oil Scrambled Eggs:
Eggs: I usually buy cage-free eggs but any eggs should be fine.
Spinach: No need to chop the spinach. :You can substitute kale but make sure to only use the leaves, NOT THE STEM. if you use kale you will have to chop it first as kale takes a bit longer to cook down.
Garlic powder: I love adding garlic powder to things but if you do not have it just skip it. There will still be enough flavor with the cheese and olive oil or truffle oil.
Olive Oil/Truffle Oil: Definitely use olive oil or butter for heating the pan but for the topping either olive oil or truffle oil work. Keep in mind which cheese you use. If you use parmesan the truffle oil will work well. Make sure any other cheese you use will pair well with the truffle oil. Cheddar and gorgonzola are probably too strong to pair with the truffle oil so stick to the olive oil.
Cheese: Parmesan or other Italian cheeses, gorgonzola or blue cheese are the ones that I have tried and work well with this dish. If you have any other cheese you want to use it should be fine, just see my notes above on the olive oil/truffle oil.
Easy Spinach, Olive Oil, Cheese and Egg Scramble
- Salt To taste.
- Pepper To taste.
- 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 Tblsp. Cheese Parmesan or Gorgonzola. See post for other types of cheese.
- 1 Tsp. plus 1 Tblsp. Olive Oil Or, 1 Tsp Olive Oil plus 1 Tblsp. Truffle Oil.
- 1/2 Cup Spinach or Kale If using kale, make sure to use only the leaves, not the stem and chop.
- 1 Tblsp. Milk
- Turn on the stove and add the 1 Tsp olive oil to the pan.
- While stove is heating, crack eggs into a bowl. Add the milk, salt and pepper and whisk until well blended.
- When the stove is warm, add the eggs and start to stir.
- After a couple minutes, before the eggs are too well done, add the spinach and garlic powder and continue stirring.
- Wait until the spinach cooks down a bit but the eggs are still a little moist. Turn off the stove.
- Transfer to serving dish and top with truffle oil or olive oil and cheese. Add more pepper on top if desired. Serve.