Even the non-vegans will be wanting some of this vegan chickpea egg salad. To be clear, there are absolutely NO EGGS anywhere to be found! This vegan egg salad with chickpeas has a great similar flavor to egg salad, but will all the plant-free goodness instead.Jump to Recipe
This recipe started out as a way for me to make an alternative to egg salad when my husband went vegan. We used to do egg salad for dinner every couple weeks and when he went vegan, I still wanted my egg salad nights. Being low carb, it was one of the only times we would even buy bread. Once I finally fine-tuned this vegan recipe for my husband, I started wanting it instead of my regular egg salad. It is that good! And no tofu!
One important note, DO NOT SKIP the food processing step. The first few times I made this dish we liked it enough but once I started food processing it was a whole other level of flavor and texture.
Some notes on the ingredients:
· Find a good vegan mayonnaise. I recommend Sir Kensingtons or JUST. (Not a paid endorsement). https://www.sirkensingtons.com/product/vegan-mayo
· Can chickpeas actually work well in this recipe because they are a good texture similar to egg once you food process them. Make sure to drain the can of water first.
· Do not skip the celery. It adds a great crunch and subtle taste factor that really completes this recipe.
· You can add more sriracha per your taste if you want a spicier vegan chickpea “egg” salad. Another option would be to add more sriracha on top of the egg salad before serving instead of mixing it in.
· The best way to enjoy this vegan chickpea “egg” salad is as a chickpea toast.
· For a low carb option, use the salad as a filling in cabbage or romaine lettuce wraps.
· You can heat up this salad as well and it still tastes great.
· Olives or pickles make a great side or topping.
· As an alternative to a sandwich this also makes a great vegan dill dip. Serve it room temperature or heated with chips, veggies or bread or pita.
· Finally, make sure you DO NOT SKIP the food processing step. You will end up with a very different dish.
Looking for more canned chickpea recipes? Check out my Canned Chickpea Hummus with Roasted Red Pepper: https://lovelylentils.com/canned-chickpea-hummus-roasted-red-pepper/
Vegan Chickpea “Egg” Salad
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp dill
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- salt to taste
- Add all ingredients to a food processor, process for 2-3 pulses, should be well blended but still slightly chunky. Adjust salt, mustard, sriracha to taste.
- Serve on toast or as a dip.