No meat, no problem. With this vegan Sausage and Peppers recipe using Beyond Meat sausages, you can still enjoy this classic game day dish. Add some whole wheat hot dog buns to really add the game day vibe or eat it as is for a lowcarb option. Also works great as an easy lunch or weeknight meal over rice or pasta.
There is nothing like tailgating at a football game or being at a baseball game with a hot dog or sausage. Becoming a vegan or vegetarian no longer means that you have to munch on lettuce during the game. Especially not if you have this beyond sausage recipe ready on game day!
If you are having people over for the game, this recipe can be prepped ahead of time and heated up when you are ready to eat. The Beyond sausages are actually quite filling so you don’t need much else for your game day party (Except maybe a beer or wine on the side).
Beyond Meat and other plant based protein companies are changing the eating game for vegetarians and vegans. If you feel like a burger tonight, you can have one. There are even options now for plant based meat sources. Companies are trying more and more to mimic actual meat and they are doing really well. If my Beyond Meat sausage didn’t come in the brand packaging, I would seriously wonder if they mixed up my sausage with an actual meat one. This recipe uses Beyond Meat sausage but you should be fine using Field Roast Italian Sausages if you prefer.
Sausage: Beyond Meat sausage is slightly softer in texture than other plant based sausages I’ve used so be careful when chopping.
Fennel: This recipe calls for fennel and onion but you can use all onion instead . The fennel does add a nice very light anise flavor that balances well with the sausage.
Bell pepper: Red and green bell peppers have different flavors. Red is sweeter so try to keep both in this dish for a good balance of flavor. Substituting the red for orange should be fine if that is what you have.
Cooking: When cooking the veggies, try to keep a little crunch to them unless you prefer your sausage and peppers on the mushy side.
How to serve sausage and peppers: Try a sausage and peppers bar where guests can serve themselves. Keep toppings on hand like pickles, olives and red pepper flakes so each guest can customize their bun. Sausage and peppers would also taste great over rice or in a pita or over pasta.
What to serve with sausage and peppers: Rice would be great with this dish. To make it an even more complete meal try making a soup on the side or some mashed potatoes. A bean dish would add a different texture and make it extra hearty.
Plant-based Game Day Sausage & Peppers
- 1/2 small onion, chopped in half slices
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped into strips
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped into strips
- 1/2 cup wine
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes or more or less to taste
- 1/2 bulb fennel, chopped into strips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 tsp oregano
- 3 Beyond Meat Italian Sausages, chopped into cm pieces. Beyond Meat sausages are soft so be careful chopping
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Turn the stove on to low-med heat.
- Once the oil is warm, raise the heat a bit and add the onions. Cook until they are a bit soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the bell peppers, fennel, garlic , salt and oregano and stir every few seconds for a few minutes.
- Cover and reduce heat to low-med.
- Check every few minutes, stir and recover about 7 minutes.
- Add the sausage and and stir to avoid charring.
- After a few minutes, raise the heat and add the wine.
- Keep stirring until the wine reduces.
- Serve over rice, quinoa or pasta or in hot dog buns. Add extra olive oil on top if desired.
Planning a vegan Thanksgiving? Try these: https://lovelylentils.com/thanksgiving-vegetarian-mains-sides/