A healthy vegetarian mix of two of the best comfort foods, and mac n cheese. (Can be vegan).
This Instant Pot Healthy Chili Mac is one of those dishes that will become a go to. Hardly any chopping required and it uses mostly pantry ingredients. Mostly you just put everything in the instant pot and set the timer. This dish is healthier than other chili macs because it uses healthier pasta (read below) and does not overload the cheese (believe me it will still taste cheesy). Best of all, this Instant Pot Healthy Chili Mac can be vegan. The cheese is only added to the top so it can be made for people with different diets.
Here are some notes on the ingredients including substitutes:
- Pasta– This recipes calls for healthier low carb pastas such as lentil pasta or chickpea pasta. You can also use whole wheat pasta. Using any of these pasta compared to regular white pasta make a huge difference in the healthiness of the dish.
- Beans– I used white cannellini beans when making this and was happy with the end result. If you have canned black beans, pinto beans or chili beans instead however, they should all work fine.
- Canned Tomatoes– This recipe calls for Canned Diced Tomatoes. However, Canned Dice Fire Roasted Tomatoes should work fine as well.
- Cheese– Cheese is optional. It will taste delicious with cheese as most things do but for a vegan, or even healthier option, feel free to omit the cheese. Chili with pasta is already a great dish you will not miss the cheese. You can also use vegan cheese.
- Salt– One teaspoon salt should be good but try to adjust to taste. If you use a lot of cheese or a very salty veg broth the salt will need to be adjusted.
Instant Pot Healthy Vegetarian Chili Mac
- 1/2 Med. Onion Chopped small to med.
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Chopped small to med.
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 1/4 Cups Pasta (You can use any pasta but lentil pasta or whole wheat are healthier options).
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 2 tblsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (or Black Pepper or Red Chili Flakes)
- 2 tblsp Olive Oil
- 1 15.5 oz Can White Cannelini Beans You can also use canned black beans, pinto beans or chili beans.
- 1/2-1 Cup Cheese Cheddar or a good mild white cheese.
- Turn the IP on to Saute.
- Add the oil
- After a couple min, add the onions and stir.
- Keep cooking the onions about five min until softer and keep checking and stirring a few times.
- Add the bell pepper.
- Saute until softer, stirring to keep from sticking.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, paprika, cumin, oregano and salt and stir. Add the cayenne if using.
- Cook for a few min, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans, broth and tomato paste.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the pasta.
- Stir and cover. Set the IP on Manual for four min
- When it is done, quick release. Add the cheese to the instant pot and stir or have each person add the cheese to their individual bowls.