A vegan curried butternut squash soup with a sweet and curried flavor profile, this soup is Fall in a bowl. Butternut squash has more flavor than pumpkin but somehow, pumpkin still gets to be the official gourd of Fall. I guess it would have looked odd if Cinderella went to the ball in a butternut squash coach. Leave the transportation to the pumpkin, because butternut is a sweet squash but balanced with the right spices in this curried butternut squash soup, not too sweet. This soup is great for lunch or a vegan Thanksgiving appetizer or side.Print Recipe Jump to Recipe
There are plenty of versions available in restaurants and grocery stores but beware, they almost always have heavy cream which is not healthy or vegan. You must have seen the rectangle cardboard box in the grocery store. It’s sitting on the shelf looking so easy to just heat up for a weeknight dinner, but then you read the ingredients. There it is…the heavy cream. The cream will add on unnecessary calories and is a dairy product. Instead, skip the restaurant and the cardboard box and make this healthier version at home. My version of curried butternut squash soup uses coconut milk which makes it vegan and plant-based.
If you have your butternut squash chopped ahead of time, this soup is quick and easy. You sauté most of the ingredients first on the stove, then transfer to the vita-mix. After that heat it on the stove and add the coconut milk and a couple more spices.
A few tips:
- If you would like your soup less sweet, use a light or unsweetened coconut milk. This may change the flavor.
- You can use frozen butternut squash. Make sure to properly defrost before using it in this recipe.
- The longer you let this cook the more the spices set in and the better it tastes. You can definitely make it a day ahead.
- To save time chopping butternut squash, buy the pre-chopped cubes. They are readily available at most supermarkets. They will usually be in the produce section with the other pre-chopped veggies.
- If you are using a whole squash make sure to save time to peel and chop.
- If you would like a spicier soup, add extra ground pepper to taste after taking the soup out of the vita-mix and heating it on the stove.
Curried Butternut Squash Soup- Vegan
- Vitamix or similar blender
- Stovetop cooking pan
- 10 oz. cubed butternut squash, frozen or fresh
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 curry leaves
- 8 peppercorns or the equivalent in ground pepper
- 1/3 large onion, chopped into large pieces
- 2/3 cup coconut millk
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 cups water
- If you are using frozen butternut squash, heat it up in a bowl in the microwave with 2 tbsp water 5 minutes.
- Add all of the oil, garlic, peppercorns and curry leaves to the pan.
- Turn on the stove to low-med heat.
- Once the oil is hot, lower heat to low, add the onions and stir.
- Stir a couple times every few minutes until the onions are a bit softer.
- Add the butternut squash and stir.
- After 5 minutes, uncover and stir.
- Transfer the mixture to the Vitamix.
- Add the water and the coconut milk to the blender.
- Add the spices except the garam masala.
- Blend until everything is completely mixed into a smooth soup. I start with Variable and work up to 4 then switch to High 1.
- Transfer the soup back to a pot on low heat.
- Add the garam masala and salt to taste. Add more pepper if desired for an extra kick
- Bring to a boil and lower heat.
- Once boiling has stopped, lower heat and and cover for 20 minutes.